I am interested in the attendant problems of each type of space below, and what of the possibility for making? I have a 2-d, figurative art practice that wishes to extend itself and consider problematic spaces and non spaces. I am deeply concerned about the racial, gendered aspects of the built environment like who builds it, who occupies it and how. But as you will see in the list below I am powerfully moved by social architecture as a tool for self or group empowerment. When I curated the 2014 show “Ruffneck Constructivists” at the ICA Philadelphia it was my first attempt to grasp at an idea I had of anti-social space. I want to find ways to shape a space/build a monument to actively address my interests below.
- home/homelessness “Eternally Displaced Persons” What impact has architecture on the nomad, refugee, migrant, stateless actor?
- Confederate monuments, collectibles and Memorial Plaques.
- Mammy monument, unbuilt or unbuildable dreams.
- Taliban and Isis destruction of world hertitage sites
- Controversial monuments
- Dramatic upheaval of monumental sculptures
Ideological sites and Architectural resistance:
- Branch Davidian compound
- Nuwaubian Nation of Moors
- People’s Temple (Jim Jones)
- Hancock Shaker Village http://hancockshakervillage.org/
- Amish villages
- Hassidic neighborhoods/ architecturehttp://deadstuy.blogspot.com/
- MOVE compound/ bombing of west Philly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHpRjxk7N4
- Ruffneck Constructivists
- LDS compound
- The United Nations http://visit.un.org/
- Washington DC Mall
- City of glass.
Underground organizations/ architectural absence. Black Sites
- mafia sites
- gang hangouts
- secret societies aka KKK, white supremacists etc.
- conspiracy/ fantasy sites
- CIA black sites
- rules of spatial organization, what are they? Order/ disorder
- who has entre? Women? Men? Black? White? Gay? what kind of club is this? all comers?
- Intitiation rites. How does one gain entry? (secret word? Secret knock? Hazing, Arrest. Permission from whom?)
- Structure of society as “Anti” What’s the difference between a religion and a cult? A social club and a gang and how do they conceive of art and architecture?
- What do buildings and spaces look like in each case? How are power or powerlessness conveyed in structure, in form? Does ego or vanity or love or pride or lust or imbalance present itself in space? Can it?
- are spaces necessarily confining? do modern spaces always crush the soul?